“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.” – John 3:16-17
“The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty,” – Exodus 34:6-7a
God forgave the people who had betrayed Him. Responding to their repentance with making a path of restoration available. This included instructions for how to live in a healthy relationship.
“When you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.” – Mark 11:25
“If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back.” – Matthew 18:15
“Work at living in peace with everyone…look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God…watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you.” – Hebrews 12:14-15
“Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” – Colossians 3:13-17
“As far as it is up to you, pursue peace,” – Romans 12:14-21
Provide a path for restoration.
- This is what happened…
- This is how it impacted me…
- The is the damage that it caused…
- This is how we can be reconciled….apology…forgiveness.
- This is how we can relate in a healthier way in the future…
- This is what I would prefer you would do differently…
What do we learn?
- God gives faithful love first.
- God offers forgiveness.
- God makes a path of restoration available.
- God wants us to share forgiveness with others.
- God would have us offer restoration.
What should we do?
- Believe. Repent. Receive. (believe Jesus as Savior, repent: apology, turn, receive forgiveness daily)
- Daily interact with the God of faithful love and forgiveness.
- Share forgiveness with others.
- Make restoration available to others.
- Consider the implications of this on a larger scale.