Where everyone can find a place that they fit.
How does this happen? When we view the responsibility of the church family to welcome, learn, listen, love, and care for people.
“14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” – Colossians 3:14
Agape love – to have love for someone based on sincere appreciation and high regard, genuine loving concern and respect, love that is faithful, patient, kind, and not selfish.
“bind” – to bring together, to unite
Perfect harmony – state of perfection, implying some process of maturity
“bringing together with perfect unity”
Let love bring us together in growing relationships that build unity.
This sounds impossible. Stressed? Losing sleep? The Colossians experienced an earthquake that damaged the city including their water supply system. They experienced an extended period of stress right around the time of this letter.
7 Choices for a welcoming church family:
- We choose to show loving respect for people.
- We choose to actively listen to people with an intent to understand.
- We choose to live with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
- We choose to forgive people because God forgave us.
- We choose the agape love motivation for growing relationships aimed at unity.
- We choose to live in peace.
- We choose to represent Jesus Christ.
This is what Jesus makes possible. This is what we must actively pursue. This will bring multiplied benefits.
We see a church…
- Loving Jesus in a way that people talk about.
- Where people find salvation & healing in Jesus.
- Helping people find careers & peaceful homes.
- Where everyone can find a place that they fit.
- Serving the city with love that works.