Faith Works – James offers us help in how to put the words of Jesus into practice. James found personal interaction with Jesus to be life-changing. James heard Jesus teaching with questions along the lines of, “What’s going on in your heart?”
Patient – long-suffering, waiting with forbearance, to persevere, long-minded (eternal perspective)
You are an eternal spiritual being having a temporary natural experience.
“Love is patient,” – 1 Corinthians 13:4
“Abraham waited patiently, and he received what God had promised.” – Hebrews 6:15 (Father of nations)
“Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They look for the valuable harvest to ripen.” 3/4 of their rain fell between December and February so the rains of the fall and the spring were most critical, the autumn rains occur just after sowing and the spring rains just before harvest (Jeremiah 5:24 Joel 2:23)
“Look at the prophets,” – James 4:10 “Job, a man of great endurance. You can see how the Lord was kind to him at the end, for the Lord is full of tenderness and mercy.” – James 5:11
“The Lord himself will come down from heaven…encourage each other with these words.” – 1 Thessalonians 4
What do we learn about God?
1. God loves us.
2. Jesus will return.
3. God rewards those who wait patiently.
How should we respond?
1. Live in expectant confident hope of Jesus’ return.
2. Live like this life and its suffering are temporary and heaven is forever.
3. Be courageous.
4. Don’t grumble about each other.
How do we do this?
1. Read Scriptures about Jesus and his return.
2. Set your values based on an eternal mindset.
3. Spend your time, energy, and money based on that value system.
4. Encourage each other with the expectation of Jesus’ return.
Here’s the outline we will be working from:
James – the principles of faith-works.
I. Faith seen in growth James 1:1-21
II. Faith seen in works James 1:22-2:26
III. Faith seen in words James 3:1-18
IV. Faith seen in purity James 4:1-5:6
V. Faith seen in patience James 5:7-12
VI. Faith seen in prayer James 5:13-20