Luke 1:26-56 Nothing is impossible with God.
Nothing is impossible with God. The birth of Jesus is proof that nothing is impossible with God.
Zechariah and Elizabeth hear the Word of God and see the work of the Holy Spirit. Elizabeth has a miracle pregnancy. “Filled with the Spirit,” is John the Baptist in his mother’s womb. After a 400 year silence, a prophetic atmosphere surrounding the coming birth of Jesus Christ (who is God’s mouthpiece).
Mary sings a prophetic song. She sings her “Thank You”. She sings about what God is like. She sings about what the Kingdom of God is like and what it will be like with the coming Messiah. She sings about God’s fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham and Sarah, who had been unable to conceive.
“All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” – Genesis 12:3
“Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return about this time next year and Sarah will have a son.” – Genesis 18:14
“The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means ‘God is with us’).” – Isaiah 7:14
What has God already communicated through this story?
1. Nothing is impossible with God.
2. Creator God has made redemption possible through Jesus Christ.
3. Jesus Christ had a miracle birth confirming His identity as Messiah.
4. Jesus brought a new season of the Holy Spirit including prophetic gifts.
5. God responds to people who believe His Word. “You are blessed because you believed,” Luke 1:45
“It is was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ You are witnesses of all these things. And I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.” – Luke 24:47-49
“’Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you,’ Then he breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.’” – John 20:21-22
“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses,” – Acts 1:8
“The Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord – who is the Spirit – makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.” – 2 Corinthians 3:17-18
“For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness of Jesus.” – Revelation 19:10
What may God be communicating to us through this story today?
1. Jesus is our way to salvation, including forgiveness and redemption.
2. Here and now God the Holy Spirit is available to us, in our new life of purpose.
3. We should believe that nothing is impossible with God, here and now.
4. We should receive the Holy Spirit and an ability to speak life, where there is death.